Saturday, February 21, 2015

Justin Timberlake - "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" (Live "In Performance at The White House")



For this post, I’m sharing Justin Timberlake’s cover of Otis Redding’s “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay”. This performance was a PBS special called “In Performance at the White House: Memphis Soul”. The description on the Youtube video from the PBS Youtube channel says, “The PBS special honored the soul sounds from the mid to late 1960’s that came from Memphis, Tennessee.” Also the PBS website said, “The evening pays homage to Memphis, a segregated city in the 1960s where many whites and blacks nonetheless came together to make soulful music, a mix of gospel and potent rhythmic grooves — known today as “Memphis Soul.” It’s only fitting that Justin performs because he was born in Memphis, Tennessee. Also, who doesn’t love listening to Otis Redding’s music? I’m a huge fan of Justin and he is also a huge inspiration to me as a musician and performer. When he puts out any new music, I’m always a fan of it. He can sing and perform anything. I’ve seen him perform live many times over the past couple of years and every time, he just kills it and blows me away. He has so much talent. Of course, I’ve been a fan of his since his boy band days in NSync and when he went solo, I became an even bigger fan. When he performs, you can tell that he drew inspiration from all the greats before him. The Michael Jackson influence is probably the most notable, which is why people probably gave him the nickname, “The President of Pop”. Michael’s “The King of Pop” and Justin’s the “The President of Pop”, which is pretty cool and I think it’s pretty accurate. I hope you enjoy Justin’s performance of  “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay”!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!