This next post I’m
sharing with you is Lights. She’s a singer-songwriter from Toronto, Canada. I
found out about her in 2009 when I was browsing youtube videos and came across
one of her songs called “Saviour” from her debut album “The Listening”. Her
sound on her albums is very pop, synthpop, new wave. The great thing about
Lights is she can also play guitar and when she does acoustic versions of her
songs, that’s where I think she shines the most. She would post acoustic videos
on youtube and I would like these better then the album versions of her songs. Not
that I don’t like the pop, dance production on her albums because I do, I just
think her talent as a singer-songwriter shines more when it’s just her and her
acoustic guitar. When her second album “Siberia” came out in 2011, there was
more of a dubstep influence on this album. I didn’t really listen to this one
because of the heavy production on it. She then released an acoustic album of “Siberia” and I immediately loved this album
more. The acoustic album has simple instrumentation. The only instruments were
vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, and strings on most of the songs. I’m a huge
fan of this album. Her recent album “Little Machines” came out last year and it
was more like her first album, which I loved. The above video is a song called “Up
We Go” from this album. As a bonus video, here’s an acoustic version of her
song “Saviour” that was from her debut album and the first song I heard from
her:
Lights was an interesting artist since there isn't very many songs like her's out there. I still have a few songs of hers from her debut album, but I haven't checked out much after that.
ReplyDeleteI'm a huge fan of lights, especially all of the 80's influence in her songs. I grew up listening to Talking Heads and The Smiths, its cool to hear the electronic parts of those bands updated. Bought little machines on vinyl as well, its bright orange. Pretty rad.
ReplyDeleteWow, there is a major difference from her acoustic and pop songs. I can honestly say I dig her more in the pop genre. I do like her acoustic stuff, but it's just her voice is, well not blending well with her guitar. Maybe to much of the high end, needs more instruments...idk...Don't get me wrong it sounds amazing acoustic but her pop tracks are a tad bit better. I will giver her acoustic stuff an 7/10 and pop a 10/10.
ReplyDeleteYo! Great find on this chick. I love this style, and more over I LOVE the endless capabilites that Digital Audio allows musicians, artists, and performers to have. Honestly they can combine their analog warmth and talent, with the insanity of the electronic realm!
ReplyDelete